National Arthritis Month
May is National Arthritis Month, so what better time to educate yourself about arthritis than now? Arthritis is a debilitating condition that causes joint stiffness and pain but is manageable with the right help. The CDC recommends that walking, and moving in general, are vital in lessening symptoms such as pain, stiffness, and function.
Physical therapy offers a variety of modalities and therapeutic exercises in order to improve the overall quality of life. If you are looking for a physical therapist near Rosedale, Flowers Physical Therapy can help you manage your arthritis and improve the symptoms you may be currently suffering from.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis involves the inflammation and swelling of connective tissues in the body, including joints. There are six types of arthritis that an individual may suffer from. These include:
- Gout: a very painful type of arthritis that often affects the big toe in men and overweight adults. Symptoms include redness, inflammation, and intense pain.
- Lupus: arthritis that affects the immune system, causing the body to attack its own tissues. The cause of lupus is still unknown. Symptoms include inflammation throughout the body, fevers, organ complications involving the kidneys, heart and lungs, joint pain, fevers, and rashes on the skin.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA): an autoimmune condition that causes the body to attack itself, resulting in joint pain and swelling, as well as tissue damage. Symptoms include pain, aching, weakness, fatigue, and stiffness.
- Osteoarthritis: is very common, affecting over 30 million adults. It is a degenerative tissue disease that causes the slow breakdown of tissues in the joints and is often caused by cartilage damage. Symptoms include pain, stiffness, swelling, and issues with range of motion.
- Childhood arthritis: joint inflammation and pain that develops in children, also known as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Causes are unknown but may be due to a malfunctioning immune system. Symptoms include fever, rash, swelling, joint pain, and difficulty completing simple activities such as getting dressed and walking.
- Fibromyalgia: affects about four million adults in the U.S. often causing emotional issues, sleep disturbances, fatigue, pain, stiffness, and cognition and memory dysfunction.
If you are suffering from any of the types of arthritis mentioned above, please contact us today for treatment with our physical therapist near Rosedale.
How can I treat my arthritis?
Physical therapy techniques are very beneficial towards managing arthritic pain. It can also help to mitigate the ramifications of decreased range of motion, swelling, and joint damage. Physical therapy uses a variety of techniques to help relieve stiffness, strengthen your joints and muscles. It is the preferred method of treatment amongst many adults; as it does not involve opioids or surgery.
Our team at Flowers Physical Therapy will create an individualized plan based on your needs. To help get you on track toward living a more fulfilling life, make an appointment with our physical therapist near Rosedale to get started!