How To Prevent Overuse Injuries
Physical Therapy in Rosedale
Two common variations of injuries are acute injuries and overuse injuries. While acute injuries are typically from a one-time traumatic event, overuse injuries occur more frequently for athletes. Typically, they can be difficult to diagnose and treat because the condition gradually develops over time. Overuse injuries are also customarily subtle and arduous to detect. Because of this, patients may not treat the condition as urgent as your average acute injury since they’ve been coping with the pain for an extended period of time. Physicians will never recommend this approach, leaving an injury untreated will only make the condition progressively worse. Patients should seek treatment at Flowers Physical Therapy in Rosedale.
Common Overuse Injuries
While there is a long list of possible overuse injuries, it has become apparent that the most common ones are:
- Tennis elbow– This occurs when tendons in the elbow are overloaded.
- Swimmer’s shoulder – This can be due to overuse or poor swimming technique.
- Youth pitching elbow – This can lead to damage in the structure of the elbow and potential growth plate tearing.
- Runner’s knee – Damage to the cartilage under the knee causes runner’s knee.
- Jumper’s knee -This injury damages the tissue connecting the kneecap to the shin bone.
- Achilles tendinitis -This is an injury to the tendon that connects the calf muscle to the bone.
- Shin splints -Mostly common in soccer players, shin splints occur due to overuse of the shin bone.
Some outstanding advice for potential prevention of overuse injuries is to use common sense and to ensure proper training:
- The 10 percent rule – Athletes should refrain from increasing their training intensity by more than 10% per week. This allows the body to slowly grow stronger without totally breaking down and pushing beyond its limits.
- Warm up/cool down -By doing this, athletes will not be jumping straight from neutrality to an immediate, high-intensity workout. Warming up the muscles before exertion is imperative for injury prevention, especially if an individual frequently exercises.
- Utilize balance workouts – The incorporation of strength training, increased flexibility, and improved core stability is highly beneficial and can be done through the use of balance workouts.
If a patient is suffering from an overuse injury, they should consider Flowers Physical Therapy in Rosedale for treatment and healing. Physical therapy could potentially provide the following:
- Strengthening of the area, thus preventing the risk of future injury.
- Specialized workouts that will target the part of the body that is experiencing discomfort.
- A physical therapist may also recommend daily workouts that can be done at home.
If a patient is experiencing unrelenting discomfort, Flowers Physical Therapy in Rosedale is able to provide unique, specialized services for pain management and treatment. Overuse injuries can be effectively managed if given the proper time and care. Contact Flowers PT and schedule an appointment today!
Wonderful web site. A lot of useful info here. I’m sending it to
several friends ans additionally sharing in delicious.
And of course, thank you for your sweat!
Stop by my web blog :: Corrine