Staying Safe During The Winter
Physical Therapy near Springfield Gardens
An unfortunate formality of the winter months is that treacherous weather conditions accompany them. Being prepared for the impending seasonal change is crucial in ensuring the safety and health of yourself and loved ones. Remember to assemble your home and automobiles for significant winter storms as well as checking on older adults to ensure their safety. In the unfortunate event that you injure yourself as a result of winter conditions such as a slip or a fall on ice, our team here at Flowers Physical Therapy will be here to assist you. If you seek physical therapy near Springfield Gardens, we are the top choice for any of your physical therapy needs.
Preparing For Winter Storms
There are many steps you can take to establish the safety and health of your whole family during a harsh winter storm. Taking the time to prepare your home and your vehicles for the events to follow can benefit you in the long run.
Preparing your home:
- “Winterize” your home –
- Installing weather stripping, storm windows, and insulation.
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls.
- Clean out your gutters ahead of time and make sure there are no leaks in your roof.
- Make sure your heating systems are working properly –
- Have your heating system professionally serviced before the start of the season.
- Inspect and clean chimneys and fireplaces.
- Be aware and prevent carbon monoxide emergencies.
Preparing your car:
- Be aware of certain things such as antifreeze level, and the condition of the radiator.
- Replace all tires or the ones in need of replacement.
- Have your gas tank filled to prevent ice from developing in the tank and fuel lines.
- Use a winter-friendly windshield wiper fluid.
- Prepare an emergency kit in your car in the event you experience a breakdown.
Be prepared in advance for weather-related emergencies:
- Stock food that is non-perishable and sealed water bottles.
- Make sure all of your devices are fully charged.
- Be aware of current and future forecast weather conditions when planning to travel.
- Have an emergency kit packed and ready, essential items to include are:
- Battery operated devices.
- Extra batteries.
- First-aid kit and extra medication.
- Battery-operated radio.
Prepare for outdoor conditions
- Wear the appropriate clothing:
- Wear multiple thin layers with a wind and water resistant jacket, hat, gloves, and scarves.
- Sprinkle cat litter, sand, or salt on patches of ice to avoid slipping.
- Follow safety precautions for the outdoors:
- Walk slowly “like a penguin” in wet areas.
- Do not travel alone when partaking in outdoor recreational activities.
- Carry a cell phone.
- Be aware of where your children are at all times.
Physical Therapy Near Springfield Gardens
The winter is a harsh season, and it is essential to think ahead and prepare for the worst. We hope that you will keep these precaution tips in mind when you are traveling outdoors, driving, or trying to stay safe and warm in your home. If followed correctly, you will help create a safer environment for yourself and those around you. If you experience a winter-related injury and are seeking physical therapy near Springfield Gardens, Flowers Physical Therapy is here to help. Contact us if you are interested in our various services. Stay safe this winter!