How Physical Therapy Can Improve Your Cardiovascular Health
Physical activity is one of the best gifts you can give your heart. Pairing regular exercise with a healthy diet is an excellent protection plan against cardiovascular disease. In honor of American Heart Month, our team at Flowers Physical Therapy would like to discuss the importance of cardiovascular health and how physical therapy can help. Start taking charge of your heart health and continue reading to learn more.
Physical Therapy For Cardiovascular Health
A personalized physical therapy program aims to help individuals exercise effectively and safely to prevent the onset of cardiovascular disease and as a therapeutic tool to improve the aerobic capacity and fitness of cardiovascular disease patients. At Flowers Physical Therapy, our team will design a program that will allow you to gradually build up endurance and strength based on your fitness level. A nutritious diet, weight management, regular exercise, and smoking cessation are critical protections against cardiovascular disease. Here are some of the remarkable benefits of physical therapy for your heart health:
- Lowers Blood Pressure – Physical activity can lower your blood pressure and your heart rate when exercising and at rest.
- Strengthens Muscles – Regular exercise strengthens your muscles, which can improve their ability to draw oxygen from the blood. This helps take the load off of your heart to pump more blood to the muscles.
- Reduces Inflammation – Exercising helps reduce chronic inflammation in the body.
- Manages Stress – Exercise can help you manage your stress. Stress is a major contributing factor to the development of hypertension.
- Weight Management – Being overweight can place stress on your heart and is a significant risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Maintaining a nutritious diet and active lifestyle can help you stay at a healthy weight and reduce your risk of developing a debilitating heart condition.
- Diabetes Prevention – Exercise can help slow the development of diabetes and helps your body have increased insulin sensitivity.
During American Health Month, consult with our team at Flowers Physical Therapy to start your commitment to a regular exercise program. Our talented physical therapists will design a strengthening and conditioning program that aims to prevent the development of cardiovascular disease. Be sure to contact Flowers Physical Therapy today to schedule an appointment and discover if physical therapy is right for you!