Useful Physical Therapy Exercises
Physical therapy will often be recommended for treatment after sustaining an injury or being diagnosed with certain medical conditions. When this is the case, make sure you seek out care from our team at Flowers Physical Therapy. We are well versed in the exercises and stretches needed to help our patients get back to full strength. To learn more about the exercises that may be utilized to facilitate the healing process, please consult with a member of our team.
Your back acts as a significant area of support for the rest of the body. When this area is in pain, it could make trying to complete everyday tasks a suddenly difficult situation. Fortunately, physical therapy can help fix this issue. One way to do this is through the use of a recommended exercise called a trunk twist. The following is what goes into completing this exercise:
- Start by lying down flat on your back.
- Bring your knees up to your chest.
- Fully extend your arms out to your sides and place your palms flat on the floor.
- Keep your knees together, and roll them over to your right side.
- Hold this position for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Return to the starting position before doing the same thing to the left side.
- Repeat on each side 5 to 10 times.
Another common issue people seek out physical therapy for is shoulder pain. Those who cannot perform arm movements without pain will find their quality of life significantly reduced. When you come to our facility to have this issue treated, one of the exercises we’ll teach you to perform include shoulder circles. To properly perform this exercise, please follow the below steps:
- Stand up straight with one arm resting on a chair or counter for support.
- Let the other arm hang straight down.
- Swing the hanging arm clockwise 10 times, then 10 times counterclockwise.
- Switch arms and perform the same rotations.
- Perform 2 to 3 sets of this exercise.
One final area of the body that our team can help out with that we’d like to discuss is the knees. This joint is responsible for bearing the majority of your body weight, and even small issues can make it difficult to walk around. However, by performing hamstring curls, knee strength can be restored. The following steps allow you to complete this exercise:
- Lie flat on your stomach.
- Slowly raise your heels and bring them as close to your glutes as possible.
- Hold this position for 10 seconds before getting your legs back down.
- For the most results, perform three sets of 15 reps.
At Flowers Physical Therapy, we’re committed to helping patients overcome their health issues. Undergoing sessions of physical therapy is one of the best ways to accomplish this goal. For more beneficial exercises, or to schedule an appointment, contact our team today.